Information for Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students

How do I get academic accommodations at UC Davis?

To receive academic accommodations at UC Davis, the SDC must determine that you are an eligible student with a disability. The SDC staff reviews documentation of your disability, including information about your current functional limitations, to determine whether you have a limitation in a major life activity.

When should I send in my documentation to the Student Disability Center?

The SDC staff will review your documentation after you have submitted your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). You should send in your documentation as soon as possible after that to expedite the determination of eligibility, particularly if you are requesting accommodations for the placement exams given during Summer Advising.

What kind of documentation do I need?

The documentation should have comprehensive information about your current functional limitations. For learning disabilities, testing should typically have been completed within the last three years. For conditions that change quickly, the documentation may need to be from the last 6-12 months. You can speak with a disability specialist regarding the elements that should be covered in your documentation. Please see our determining eligibility page for more information on the type of documentation we need.

How long does it take to review the documentation?

The time it takes to review documentation and determine eligibility varies, depending on a number of factors, such as the number of requests the SDC has at the time, the complexity of the documentation, and whether it contains sufficient information. The process is most likely to be delayed if the documentation is not complete, because you or the specialist will need to contact your diagnosing professional for more information. Providing complete documentation will expedite the process.

How do I request academic accommodations for the placement exams during Summer Advising?

If you want accommodations for placement exams, you need to provide your documentation to the SDC as soon as possible. If you are found to be eligible for accommodations, you must submit a Placement Exam Accommodation Request Form promptly so that accommodations can be arranged prior to the tests. You can complete the request form using the Student Portal. Last minute requests for accommodations usually cannot be granted, so it is very important to start the process as soon as you can.

How do I get disability-related accommodations for housing?

If you need accommodations in the dorms, you should notify Student Housing as soon as possible.

Will I be allowed to have a car on campus for disability reasons?

First-year students living in campus housing will not be eligible to purchase a campus parking permit. If you have a DMV-issued disabled parking placard, you may purchase a "DSA" permit from Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS). With the DSA permit, you may park anywhere on campus other than in spaces restricted to deans/chancellors, "E" vehicles or vendors. You may also park in metered spaces without feeding the meter. If you do not have a DMV placard but will need to have personal transportation for disability reasons, e.g., to travel to regular medical treatments, you may file an appeal with Student Housing for an exception to the Student Housing Parking Policy. You may obtain the information about the appeal process by contacting Student Housing at

Some of the files on this site are provided in portable doument format (pdf). A program that can read and/or print pdf files, like Adobe Acrobat Reader, may be required.

Contact Information

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. to noon and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Closed all university holidays

Phone Numbers
Voice: (530) 752-3184
Fax: (530) 752-0161


Mailing Address

Student Disability Center
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, California 95616