Student Surrounded by Bicycles

Personal Care Assistants

Personal Care Assistants

The University does not pay for or provide Personal Care Assistants, personal services, or individually prescribed devices.  To arrange for services, students often work with the California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) or the Yolo County Adult Protective Services In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) Program. See the Office for Civil Rights publication “Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities.”

If you currently receive services from DOR or other state or local agency, it is important to contact them early and work closely with that agency and the local counterpart agency serving Davis to facilitate a smooth transition with no break in service.

For information about requesting or receiving services through DOR (such as books, tuition assistance, bus passes, accessible vans, or specialized equipment), please visit

For information about obtaining personal care assistants on campus or in the UC Davis area, please contact the Yolo County IHSS program at (530) 661-2955. The Public Authority in Woodland, California maintains a list of prescreened personal care assistants that students can contact. For more information, please call (530) 661-2676 or visit

If you will be requesting financial aid to help pay for personal care assistance, check out or call the Financial Aid (530) 752-2390.